Om Al-Qura Arabic and Islamic Studies School Code
- Parents are required to fill in the registration forms for their children and provide all the required information including allergy information and OHIP number. A copy of the student report card is also required to complete registration. For JK students a birth certificate is required.
- For returning Ontario students a pre-filled form with student information will be provided in the office and parents will add their contact information, sign and date the form. Report cards are not required for returning students or for Out of Province students.
- Om Al-Qura Arabic and Islamic Studies School is a non-profit organization that operates under Ottawa Muslim Association (OMA)
- All contributions collected from parents are used to cover school expenses, and extra curriculum activities for the Islamic Studies program from 3:30-5:00 or for the summer program community hours.
- The Arabic Program is 2.5 hrs. from 1:00-3:30 free of cost or religion content and is supported by Permanent Education, ILP. Registration is open all year for both programs.
- The contributions are $150 for Islamic Studies. Payments can be made in cash or by check on first day of school.
- Please pick up your kids in time. Late pick up charge after school hours will be $10 every 15 minutes.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER
- The school must be notified of any changes in address, or emergency phone number to be able to contact the parents when necessary.
- Students are expected to attend classes regularly and could only be absent from school in case of illness or family emergencies.
- Parents will sign a form at the front desk for late drop in or early pick up.
- In case of absence for more than three consecutive times, parents should inform the school in writing of the reason of the absence.
DROP OFF and PICK UP PROCEDURES
- Temporary parking is not allowed at the main entrance.
- Students should be dropped at the front desk at earliest 12:50 pm.
- Students should be picked up from the front desk by parents/adults at the end of the school hours.
- Parents are not allowed to enter classes or school washrooms.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- We expect parents to inform the administration of any allergy or medical conditions their children might have.
- If a child becomes ill during school, he/she will be cared for temporarily, and the parent will be notified.
- For serious illness or injuries, the student will be referred to a physician or hospital.
- Parents must ensure that their children have a light nutritious snack for the break time. Pizza snack will be made available at a minimal cost.
- All food snacks must be nut-free.
- Children will have only 10 minutes to consume their snacks; therefore the snacks should be small and easy to handle especially for younger ones.
- Students are advised to bring a bottle of water
Students are expected to:
- Think, talk and act in accordance with the Canadian values and Islamic manners.
- Treat others with respect and dignity; in the way one would like to be treated.
- Show proper care of school property and other students’ belongings.
- Wear indoor shoes inside the GYM
- Help out when needed; hold the door for others, help teachers in class and in GYM.
- Always walk quietly on the right side of the line in the hallway, on stairs or in the class.
- Have a positive attitude toward learning.
- Attend class regularly.
- Absence more than three consecutive times requires a written note.
- Share something (donation; $, stickers, gifts, snacks) with the class on late arrival or when students forget their stuff.
- Participate in class discussions and activities.
- Complete the activities on time.
- Cleanup and place the seat on the table before leaving the class. (Teacher will help the JK students)
- Engage in bullying behaviours
- Gather in the lobby before or after school hours without accompanying teacher or parent
- Bring unsafe objects to school
- Bring toys, cell phones or similar gadgets to school
- Use smart phones in class
- Play in the washrooms or in the canteen area
- Play with alarm or other Day school belongings
- Use smart boards without supervision
- Leave school alone or go outside school premises without a supervisor
Prayer Time Rules
- Sit properly and show the due respect to the Prayers.
- Move in an orderly manner to and from the gym with your teacher.
- Listen to teacher and/or other students without interruption.
- Follow directions delivered by teachers and administrators.
- Respect the learning environment and keep hands off the school property.
- Bathroom visits before class hours, before and after GYM and not during class hours.
- Clean toilet seat and wash hands after use.
- Don’t play or socialize inside the washroom.
Early and ongoing strategies to address inappropriate behaviour may include:
- Oral reminders
- Time outs
- Contact with parents
- Contract with student, teacher and parents
- Further range of consequences may include:
- Withdrawal of privileges
- Withdrawal from class
- Dismissal from school
- Being aware of and respecting school policies and regulations.
- Provide medical information to the school and for children with life threatening allergies, provide an Anaphylaxis Emergency plan (Epipen or other auto injector)
- Provide home environment that supports and complements the aims and objectives of the program.
- Help their children develop a positive attitude towards the school.
- Highlighting to their children the importance of attending class regularly and on time, participating in classwork, completing all their assignments.
- Follow up on their children’s progress and assist their children in completing the assignments if required.
- Escort children to school front desk and pick them up on time. A letter of consent is required if friends, neighbours or other adults are picking up the children.
- Be involved in school activities and events, communicate appreciation, concerns and expectations to the school staff
- Visit the school website regularly to learn about school activities and events.